17 January 2009

Snow Plows & Piles

Okay, so I know anyone who lives in Wyoming, especially if they've lived here all his/her life, will think this post is hilarious... so if you are one of our blog readers who lives close to us, either skip this one or remember I've historically lived in places where it snows approximately one week a year. :) And, last year, in SLC, we were in the city, so every street was plowed daily.

Wednesday I left Ellie with a gal across the street and went off to MOPS. I had a great time, felt re-energized and headed home only to find our neighborhood had finally been plowed. Now finally means for the first time all winter... and thus there was a huge barrier of snow between me and our street. We essentially live on a cross street inside a circle and the circle had been plowed without making any breaks in the large snow pile that accumulated in the middle of the street... I drove around and around. Finally, I witnessed another small car barreling over the mound in a place where it was a bit lower... I figured if they could do it, I could do it. Luckily, it happened to be on the correct end of our street so that I didn't have to cross the pile again to pull into our driveway.

A few hours later, Eleanor and I heard large trucks outside. So, we went to the big front window to investigate. Here's what we witnessed:





The snow blower thing was inching along, pouring snow into a whole line of dump trucks. They only got through half of our street (and it isn't long!) with 4 trucks and then the blower had to stop and wait for the trucks to come back again. Seriously, with all the melting and reaccruing of snow, it seems to me this would take a lot less time if they just were able to plow a bit more often than once every 2 months up here!
Anyway, our street is now plowed. It is now quite icy. The plowing didn't help the giant, icy puddle at the end of the street that one has to wade through if one desires to take a walk... and Ellie and I are now educated as to the ways of carting away large piles of snow.
It snowed an additional 5 or 6 inches Wednesday evening... so the vicious cycle has begun again.

No comments: