18 January 2009

Finally, More Makeover Madness!

Okay, so this week I finally got myself in gear and finished opening boxes, organizing and decorating our big basement family/play/drum room. It is so nice to have this finished! Instead of dreading walking into this room I now find myself eager to head down there in the evening.

This room was especially tough because of it's strange layout (or complete lack of layout) and size. It is HUGE, but long and skinny and there is just one tiny window at the far end. Seth did a great job setting up his two drum sets at the dark end and this ultimately inspired me to finish the rest. Once I got going, though, I had a lot of fun because I ended up using all the random, interesting and nostalgic items we didn't use throughout the rest of the house. This has made the room cozy, eclectic, warm and fun. I laughed to myself through the whole process because I chose not to use any reds anywhere upstairs and thus I had boxes and boxes of random reddish decorations - and therefore plenty to choose from for this room.


I think, in the future, Seth and I will continue to talk about doing a lot of remodeling work down there, but for now it is 110% better than it was!


Here's what it looked like when we first moved in:

Then I painted one red wall:


And now we've moved in!:














3 comments:

Hannah said...

It looks great. It is nice to have a room that you can keep working on even though it is totally livable as-is. Hopefully we'll get to see it in person someday. =)

arturlington said...

I love the carpet on the walls and the ball lights! Where did you get them, and more importantly, do you want to put them in my house too? Remember the comment I used to make? That when I get a house I was going to fly you out to decorate it! Well guess what?! We live in the same town (and I even break into your house when you are gone!) We need to do dinner this week! Love the downstaris!!!!!!

emily said...

That is truly amazing that you can make a not-so-cozy looking room feel so homey. Well done!