25 November 2008

A Sleepy Girl, A Good Book and Laundry

Those are the highlights of our day today. Normal, boring and fairly uninteresting to you, I'm sure, but bliss for Ellie and I. Our little bug seems to be growing like a weed these days and is definitely teething again. I'm not enjoying the painful, fussy parts of that, but I must admit I love a warm, sleepy baby on my lap while I sit on the couch and read.

On the subject of reading, thank you for all the book suggestions! They gave me ideas, helped me remember books I haven't read in a long time or have been on my list to read and reminded me of books I've read before and maybe should read again. Along with the comments that were posted here, I also got a few emails and phone calls in response to my request. It was wonderful to hear from all of you in all the different ways you responded.

So, here is a complied list of the suggestions I received as well as a few of the books I tangentially thought of in response to your suggestions. Hopefully this will help any of you who are also in need of a good book...


The Mark of the Lion series (Francine Rivers)

The Brothers K (David James Duncan) - my favorite book of all time...

The River Why (David James Duncan)

Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austin)

Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austin)

Mansfield Park (Jane Austin)

The Book Theif (Markus Zusak) - mentioned as a favorite twice...

The Once and Future King (TH White)

Peter Pan (JM Barrie)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulaine (Kate DiCamillo)

Replay (Sharon Creech)

Heartbeat (Sharon Creech)

James and the Giant Peach (Roald Dahl)

Perfect Match (Jodi Picoult)

Nineteen Minutes (Jodi Picoult)

The Nanny Diaries (Emma McLaughlin)

The Devil Wears Prada (Lauren Weisberger)

PS, I Love You (Cecelia Ahern)

Marley and Me (John Grogan) - also mentioned twice...

Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood (Rebecca Wells)

The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)

The Shack (William P Young)

The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)

A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)

The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)

War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)

Anna Karinina (Leo Tolstoy)

Seven Years in Tibet (Heinrich Harrer)

The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series (Alexander McCall Smith)

Zorro (Isabelle Allende)

Ines of My Soul (Isabelle Allende)

Daughter of Fortune (Isabelle Allende)

100 Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

Harry Potter series (JK Rowling)

Cliff Janeway series (John Dunning)

JA Jance's Detective books

books by Tony Hillerman

Trinity (Leon Uris)

Redemption (Leon Uris)

Master and Commander series (Patrick O'Brien)

Walking the Bible (Bruce Feiler)

A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters (Madeleine L'Engle)

Little House on the Prairie (Laura Engles Wilder)

The Hero and the Crown (Robin McKinley)

Naria series (CS Lewis)

Walk Across America (Peter Jenkins)

The Walk West (Peter Jenkins)

Davita's Harp (Chaim Potok)

My Name is Asher Lev (Chaim Potok)


As I typed that list I realized it is really long! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Dianne, Eleanor and I headed out to the library at the end of last week. I picked up a few of these... and am currently reading "The Time Quartet" by Madeleine L'Engle. It is all four of the "Wrinkle in Time" series books published in one volume. I'm thoroughly enjoying them again (I haven't read them since Junior High and High School). Sunday I read Wrinkle, yesterday I read Wind and today I'm a good way through Planet. They are perfect because they move quickly and thus I feel as though I've made progress even through a million Ellie interruptions. I'm getting a whole lot more out of them than I did before...

So, happy reading to you all. I must get back to my sweet Ele-monster.

No comments: