05 November 2008

A Blank Slate

My number one frustration with our new home has been it's lack of color and thus, in my opinion, lack of personality. When we moved in, all the walls in the house were flat white, except for Ellie's neon blue room and a nice beige in our bedroom (oh, and some left-over mint green from the 60s in the basement...). Hmmm. Now that I say all that, I feel like it wasn't all white at all. So, more accurately, it was mostly flat white with a few colors I absolutely abhorred. Take the living room, for example: flat white walls, off white carpets, light beige blinds and white trim. Boring. And, to top it off, the outside is pretty much all white as well. Again, boring. Others have reframed this for me, reminding me the house is a nice, "blank slate." Thanks guys.

So, as part of the moving process, as I mentioned before, I've painted (and painted and painted...). Now, I actually love to paint. I find it relaxing and I love how colors and textures make me feel when they are finished. But, I've never before painted with an infant to take care of at the same time. Paint is a pretty messy, pretty frustrating medium when you have a crying baby on your hands. It is also pretty frustrating when it feels like we're still not moved in and it's now been just over 2 months!

Anyway, I had made sure to move everything into the kitchen right away, so we could easily cook, but after several weeks of staring at the boring white walls, here's what happened:

3 comments:

theSarge said...

It's nice to see how you are turning your house into your home. The pictures of the change in the kitchen give a dramatic comparition. I felt better just looking at the new decor;)

C. M. said...

I feel you. I can't stand white walls!! Of course, all apartments are painted white, white, and more white. Our current management actually lets us paint, as long as we agree to paint it back to white before we move out. But John said a big hearty "NO!" as he feels the moving process is stressful enough without having to paint. Maybe I can convince him to let me at some trim...
Anyway, your place is looking good! :^)

emily said...

I really like what you did with the kitchen! Perfect color!