17 November 2008

An Extravagant Weekend

Okay. So, our weekend was packed with more activities and work that I thought was humanly possible and it leaves me questioning how exactly to blog about it. All our events are of such different types and foci that even blogging feels chaotic...

Chaotic. I think that is definitely my word for the weekend.

Friday night Amanda and I went to the WYO Theater in town to see Davide Cassida, a concert pianist, perform. He played 3 wonderful Schubert pieces and Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. I hadn't known he was coming to town, but Amanda saw and ad for the concert and called me right away to see if I wanted to go. I'm super glad we went because A) I needed a night out, B) he's a wonderful player and it was a great concert, C) Pictures at an Exhibition is my favorite piano piece (although the orchestrated version is wonderful as well) and D) I was in dire need of some musical inspiration to get me back in "soon I will be teaching piano lessons again and I need to remember I have a musical side to my personality and skill set" mode.

Saturday I went to a Master Class Davide held with some of the local piano students. I was again glad I went, but still have some processing to do in regard to my perception of the local teachers, students and my own desire (or lack thereof) for teaching again soon. The class did help recharge my confidence in my listening and teaching abilities, however, and it gave me a great desire to start playing again myself. Unfortunately, however, the other events of our weekend made it quite difficult to simply hang out at home and play the piano...

The rest of our weekend was filled with a bathroom remodel, cleaning and the continued task of unpacking and organizing the house. Add a small child who has decided to army crawl with great speed and abandon toward all things dangerous and not-so-child-friendly as well as pull everything she can reach off of bottom shelves, and you've got yourself one exciting, action packed couple days.

The bathroom is not finished, but the work is coming along well. I'm trying not to stress out too much about it all, and I'm totally looking forward to the finished product...

Here are some pictures of the "before nast:"


And, it always has to get worse before it gets better...


I'll definitely post after pictures once we're completely finished. It already looks a million times better, cleaner and more finished.

Here's Ellie attempting to feed herself, a big challenge to our cereal eating moments:


And a little avocado action:


The other excitement (for me) is that I finally finished putting ur bedroom together. It is wonderful to finally have that space! I think I'll wait until tomorrow to post those pics, though - this post is long enough!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Every picture I saw I went ew, eww, eww and ewww and didn't think they were gonna get any worse:) Oh man what a task you guys took on. I can't wait to see the final pics of it. So glad you got to go to that concert it sounded wonderful. Ben and I are going to the symphony in December for a Christmas celebration and I'm very much looking forward to that.
By the way, Ellie looks good in avacado green...heheheheeee

Natalie said...

Oh Ellie is SOOOO cute! And her hair is really starting to come in :)