16 December 2008

A Little Bit Grouchy

Or a lot bit grouchy...

I know a post already went up today, but I need a place to rant this morning. Ellie's been "sick" for the last couple of days, as in, running a fever and acting fairly grouchy. I think she's just teething, but today she woke up with a gross nose and has been sneezing bunches and bunches on top of the low-grade fever, drool and wanting to suck on anything she can.

Last night I didn't sleep more than 30 minutes at one time - between Ellie and the cat. Our cat, Pekoe, has not done well in our extreme cold and gave us quite a scare a week or so ago after staying out all night when the temp dropped into the teens. He's since recovered nicely, but now that the temps are in the negative teens, we're not letting him out at all. All last night he whined about it. And knocked things off the dressers. And clawed the bedding. Meanwhile Ellie woke up every hour and a half. Just a priceless night all in all.

So, I'm grouchy, too. Plus, Ellie learned to pull herself up on things on Sunday. That means my planned projects are getting done even slower than usual because our house is not quite Ellie-proofed for her new reach of approximately 2 1/2 feet. For example, I used to put things I didn't want her to have on the coffee table. Now I need a new, higher place for my coffee cup and computer. Along with that, she can now get deeper into the cupboards she likes to frequent. This is fine and fun for her, but then she gets stuck. So, she'll whine about not feeling good and then get distracted by the cupboards and then get stuck and start whining again...

To be fair, I've found a few consolations this morning: teething biscuits, brief smiles, finished Christmas goodie plates to take to the neighbors, strong coffee and leftover BBQ chicken pizza from last night.

The Christmas goodie plates are what I've mostly worked on for the last 3 days or so. I made 12 plates of frosted sugar cookies, chocolate cut out cookies, peppermint patties, caramel corn, mini cinnamon rolls and peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. It would have been more fun with my mom or with a group of friends, but I enjoyed myself. Now I just have to get up enough energy to take the plates around... maybe tomorrow?

5 comments:

Laura Fenske said...

Ugh! I can feel your pain, Bethany! Micah is teething and was wake from 9-10:30, again at 2, 4, 5, and 6! Just when I thought sleep was part of my life again! You have been far more productive then me though with all your baking! The trays are beautiful, they are lucky to be your neighbors!

Bethany said...

Laura, I'm sorry I can't bring you a plate - then at least you could say you had yummy cookies to eat during your groggy morning. I hope Micah sleeps better tonight!

emily said...

Poor Pekoe. Our cats are feeling the same way...although their a bit wimpier because it's only gotten down to 25 degrees here, but still cold enough that their willing to come inside at 5:30 in the evening and spend most of the evening on top of the cupboards because Owen is in the house.

And of course poor Bethany and Seth, with a sick kiddo, cold nights, and needy cats, I can imagine that you're wiped out. Hang in there, and keep drinking that warm, hot coffee (which I miss so much!)

Natalie said...

Hope Eleanor is feeling better. Having sick kids is SO tough and not sleeping makes it even harder to deal with! But I agree with Laura that those plates of goodies look delicious!

MacKender 4 said...

Hang in there...having a sick,teething kiddo is the pits! I too can feel your pain! Peyton is waking up throughout the evenings due to cutting her molars. She is a bear! It is hard for all in the house! We too have a cat that doesn't seem to know if she wants in or out and stands at the end of my bed crying all night (between Peyton)...O Joy!

The cookies look GREAT! You have been very busy! I do not function quite as well with no sleep! Good Job!