08 March 2010

Many Bubbles

I have copious amounts of wonderful memories from my childhood that center around visiting my mom's parents' home. Going to Grandma and Grandpa's was always an adventure. Tons of the memories have to do with food - in large part because of my Grandfather's love for sweets. Now, of course, they don't all have to do with food, but that is also what is largely on my mind these days. :)

When I think of food at Grandma and Grandpa's house I'm especially reminded of fruit roll ups, custard style Yoplait yogurt, all the best sugary breakfast cereal, Pinwheels, soda pop and ice cream. All pretty wonderful things, eh?

Anyway, this weekend I was having a VERY hard time with my stomach and food in general again and at some point decided both ice cream and soda sounded like I might be able to keep them down. Of course, because of Grandpa, I knew how amazing they are together. So, we set out for the grocery store, did a little fabric shopping (Ella desperately needs new pjs), bribed Ella into good behavior by telling her we were getting a special treat and also bought root beer and vanilla ice cream. Now, I know to most of you, root beer and vanilla ice cream sound like the fixings for Rootbeer Floats - but, oh, no - they were the makings of Many Bubbles. Yum!

During my childhood, my favorite combinations were Dr. Pepper and chocolate ice cream or Cherry Coke and vanilla. These days, because of my avoidance of caffeine and a sensitive stomach, root beer and vanilla sounded divine. Anyway, at Grandpa's house, he'd let us pick our soda and give us the ice cream options, then he'd sit us down with a large bowl of ice cream. We'd sit together at their kitchen table, pour the soda over the top and talk over the amazing phenomenon of Many Bubbles. There is just something about looking at all those bubbles in a bowl and eating them with a spoon that is mesmerizing. Grandpa would always say, "Look at all those bubbles! Many, many bubbles! Just think, if I had a nickle for every one of those bubbles, I'd be rich!" It all just makes me smile. :)

Thus, this weekend, Ella was initiated into the world of Many Bubbles. Needless to say, she adored the combination as well.

4 comments:

arturlington said...

That's an amazing story! I am so glad you Many Bubbles made your tummy feel better! I'll stay on the lookout for the girlscout icecream- then we will really party!

Hannah said...

Other than reliving a childhood memory, my favorite part of this post is that there is a (unmentioned) box of oreo cookies in the picture next to your many bubble... Oh, the joys of early pregnancy. =)

Seth said...

To Hannah-

Applause.

While in the grocery store, Bethany grabbed the Oreos from an endcap and tossed them in the cart so nonchalantly that I had to comment on it. We laughed. I had never seen her just grab sweets as if overcome by impulse. This pregnancy, despite all of the hardships, has been quite an eye opening process. It is very clear that despite her denial, Bethany is actively building a miracle.

I think of Bethany working with God on building a jigsaw puzzle. Turns out the picture on the box is LIFE. I'd imagine that is a pretty exhausting process. I like the idea of Bethany sitting at a table with God turning puzzle pieces trying to line up the pictures on each piece to make them fit in the puzzle, sharing many bubbles and Oreos.

s

Jeff said...

Not that I have ever been, will ever be, or could possibly understand the feeling of being pregnant, but if I were, I think that Grandpa's sweet concoction of "many bubbles" would be one of the things I would crave. Comfort food at its best. Glad it made you feel better.

And I do wish I had a nickel for every one of those bubbles.

Jeff