02 July 2009

A Little Monster

I don't know if it's simply my need for recovery after having guests (who were wonderful, I'm just always tired after having big changes in our routine) or something else... I guess as I sit here I can think of ten things it might be... but I have zero tolerance with my darling baby girl and she's turned into a monster. In my head I've taken to calling her Demo-Girl. Here's what she's been up to:

-taking EVERYTHING out of EVERY drawer, box or cupboard she can get her hands on (as fast as possible) so that our house really does look like a demolition zone

-running (really running) around, screaming like a pterodactyl, especially when I tell her "no"

-saying, "Nnn-oo" very seriously to just about everything (and now meaning it)

-teething another set of molars

-falling. Over and over and over again. Usually combined with some injury. Most of the time, because of some new set of items she's thrown out of their drawer, box, basket or cupboard

-crying because of previously stated injuries

-terrorizing the cat, no "nice pets" here, and then generally squealing about it which makes the cat yelp and jump (great fun, right?)

-learning to take off her diaper. Really. The cloth ones - and thus rendering the disposables completely useless, they last only a few minutes. No good. Does anyone have any advice on this front and how to stop it? Other than permanently keeping her in flannel pajamas in 90 degree weather simply because she doesn't yet know how to unzip them?

-figuring out she's tall enough to climb by herself onto the couch, chairs and the piano bench

-taking anything and everything she can possibly climb to reach off of said tall and previously safe places thus making even more, bigger messes. (Think mom talking briefly on the phone and 10 seconds later an entire box of crackers being dumped on the floor. Then stomped on. Or a bowl of beans. Or...)

-screaming and/or crying when put in her jogging stroller (which she normally loves) so that mom can't even get in her normal, stress-releasing runs


Now, to be fair, we have had a few beautiful moments. Unfortunately, their mood isn't the one that permeates my being at this point. What I don't understand is how exactly she can learn so many stinking new things in such a short amount of time. And, how she can be such a fun, lovable, cute little girl while grandma and grandpa are here and then turn rotten as soon as they leave.

Seth and I were terrible and didn't take any pics while Jon and Ruthie were here. So, we have to wait until we get pictures from them to post about their visit. It really was wonderful.

My parents are arriving here in Sheridan tomorrow afternoon for a visit of their own. We are looking forward to it. I'm trying hard to release my normal desires to have things clean and neat before company arrives. I'm also trying to release myself from any expectations about my days spent with Ellie right now. She is great when my focus is directly on her - that's just not completely realistic.

Anyway, I will leave y'all with this pic of our one quiet moment this morning:

Ahhh, the banana love.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I have a (okay, a few) good diaper off stories, but I'll save those. Usually as long as she has clothes on, Gracie will leave her diaper alone. That's not the case with all kids. I have heard of moms putting the diapers on backwards. I'm not a pro with cloth, but it works well with the disposable ones. Or, you can always add duct tape to the diapers... just another trick from another random blog I happened upon a while back. Good luck. Hopefully she'll be happy again while your folks are there. Perhaps she is tired from the change in routine too. =) If you need the break, send her our way!

Amy said...

Ephraim loves to take his diapers off too. I put them on backwards. It has worked to deter him for the most part and has worked when I have been using fitteds and covers (our back ups). Good luck! Ephraim has figured out how to undo the velcro through his clothes when diapers are on forwards, so almost all of his diapers are put on backwards.

Z and Me said...

Remember the time we went for a walk to Sugarhouse and Zachary screamed basically the whole way back and wanted to be carried? We ended up carrying him and pushing the stroller. Breaks are good things, so don't feel guilty about taking them. I also agree with the duct tape idea... Maybe she's thinking about some seriously early potty training... ;) We can only hope...