23 July 2009

It's Official

I'm signed up to run the Portland Marathon on October 4th.

I'm not sure if I'm excited or scared, but I'm happy I finally committed. I've had a couple of hard weeks where running hasn't been fun and has felt like it's taken over our lives. I was lacking motivation and drive. Through it all I kept up with my training, but was definitely low on energy and struggling with our family schedule.

I've made a couple of changes (when Eleanor and I get up in the morning and actually putting money down to run) and they helped a bit. I also was craving a creative, artsy project yesterday so I decided to make a pretty running schedule that I don't mind hanging centrally in our house. It has helped to see the remaining weeks laid out in front of me. It's also helped to see a tally of the miles I've already run. I guess it's somewhat silly, but it was also important for me to embrace the commitment our family has made in allowing me to take the time to train and celebrate just how far I've come and how far I'm going.I have this bad habit of comparing myself to other people or diminishing the things I do by thinking, "yeah, but it's not as much as _______" or "not as fast as ______," etc. I'm trying to stay positive and be joyful about my accomplishments - even the little things.

Here are a few things I'm proud of:
- running up my hardest progression of hills this morning (which we have plenty of!) at 10K pace while pushing Eleanor in the jogger.
- hitting the 450 mile mark since beginning this process
- running every single one of my scheduled workouts last week even though I didn't want to (at all!)
- experiencing joy while running miles 9 and 10 of a tough 10-miler last week - getting home and thinking, "I could have kept going for much, much longer!"

I have to remind myself that it is okay to feel proud every once in a while. :)

So, I'm sorry if y'all decide my rise in narcissism is too much for you, but I think I've got to have it or I'll never make it to the starting line. Here's to the NW! We'll be seein' you soon!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job! Portland was my first ever marathon and I really enjoyed it. Be aware it is all on pavement - my knees didn't like that so much! Good luck training,
M. Paisley

MacKender 4 said...

Best wishes with your training! Good for you on running so far!!

emily said...

You are amazing! You're inspiring me to get out and run now! Good luck with the remainder of your training. Can't wait till you're out here in the NW!

Lynn said...

Good luck on your Marathon! You'll do awesome!!

I'm always on the look out to see what crafty project you have done- so I can make mental notes and remember them! I can't wait to do your rice box idea when Mally gets old enough!! Hope you don't mind if I 'steal' these?!

arturlington said...

You can do it running pro! And, being proud of yourself is a healthy model for Ella!