31 October 2008

Autumn in Northern Wyoming


October is my favorite month. It helps that it's the month I was born in, but I find October to be FALL. I love the changing of the leaves, pumpkins, the deep reds, oranges and yellows we all associate with this time of year, the crispness of the air and the way we all tend to reminisce. Somehow, I find myself reflecting more during October about the previous year than I do in January.

This October is different than any I've experienced before. First off, it snowed - like REALLY snowed - October 10th through the 13th. Secondly, our furnace decided not to work right at the beginning of this cold, wet weather. Thirdly, I have an infant to care for 24/7 and lastly, I'm home all the time.


Luckily, the first two points resolved themselves quickly. The furnace was fixed within a couple of days and the snow melted quickly once the storm passed. The third makes life wonderful and interesting and hard. The fourth makes me antsy a third of the time and makes me love my life the other two-thirds.

There are some things that are consistent about my October experiences from year to year, however, that hold true this year, too. One, I had another birthday. Two, we've walked and walked and walked and walked. Three, I've been able to enjoy the colors and the pumpkins and the crisp, clean air.


Ellie and I go walking almost every morning with a lady who lives across the street and down a couple of houses. Judy has lived in Sheridan for 35 years. She is a retired 4th grade teacher, has 2 Tibetan Terriers who walk with us and knows everyone on the street. Her presence and friendship are huge blessings. I appreciate being able to wake up in the morning and know I'll be able to have some adult conversation, will get to take a nice long walk, will give Eleanor some varied stimulation and will learn something new about this place we live. Judy has been wonderful about introducing us to the people we meet as we walk as well as helping us get acquainted with others who live down our street.


We are delighted to find that people in Sheridan are incredibly friendly. We have connected with many people on our street, in the church we've attended for a few Sundays, at the grocery store, at work and at MOPS. I have yet to say I've connected well enough with anyone to really predict where we might develop strong relationships, but during this time of slow settling we don't feel isolated. There really are still communities where your neighbors bring you cookies and flowers when you move in!


P.S. Happy Halloween! I was planning on adding a picture of Ellie to this in her cute Halloween outfit (no costume this year), but she's still asleep. (Yes, it is 11:00 in the morning). She is officially teething now and we had the worst night of her life last night. She slept fitfully only while being rocked or nursing... until about 7:30 this morning... and she's still asleep now. I could feel the tooth yesterday morning, peeking through. We'll see what it looks like today.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Okay, so I have to say, Ellie looks a little bit chinese with the hat and sweater. Not that she's not cute but the picture could be of a little chinese prince...

theSarge said...

It's nice to hear about what's up with your family in your new home. It looks like Ellie enjoys chillin' in the BOB better than hangin' with the pumpkins. We are thankful that you have good neighbors and potential friends. Now that you have gotten internet at home seeing more pictures is great.