30 October 2008

Everything is Difficult at First

My Aunt Dianne shared with me, while I was in Seattle for my brother's (wonderful) wedding, a sweet book she was introduced to by a friend in New York. It is full of great, important, simple sayings, but the one that stood out to her, and stands out to me now is: Everything is difficult at first.

I am strangely comforted by the fact that someone decided this concept was important enough to illustrate and share. I am grateful that Dianne's friend reminded her and that she in turn reminded me.

I am sad in little spaces here and there throughout each day that everything is difficult. I'm especially sad when things feel chaotic and overwhelming, I have a headache, my sweet baby decides not to sleep well and I miss my friends and family. I do find hope, however, as I continue to do the things that feel so difficult - even if it's just doing a load of diaper laundry in a space filled with half empty cardboard boxes - because at the end of each task and at the end of each day I see glimmers of order, peace and promise.

We like Sheridan. We like our home. We love our beautiful daughter and the joy she brings to each day. We are having a great time learning more and more about each other as we have to lean inward while working outward to make our place here.

Everything is difficult at first.

No comments: