05 September 2009

Apples!

Friday morning Ella and I had the opportunity to pick apples out on a friend's property. They have 4 neglected apple trees and a whole huge group of moms and kids went out to pick the fruit. It was very fun to spend the morning with some great ladies, let the kids play and spend time climbing in apple trees. We're very thankful for all the apples we brought home. By getting them this way even Seth can eat them! Yay.

As you can see from the picture, most of the apples are either bruised or have little baby bites taken out of them... thus I forsee gallons of applesauce in our near future. Happily, I have all our canning supplies still out from the salsa adventure (our final count was 25 pints, by the way!), so the applesauce should be an easy (but time consuming) task.

Yesterday I also picked up a 26 pound box of peaches to can. Seth is taking his Hunter's Safety Course this weekend and then going hunting with a couple of friends, so Eleanor and I needed a project. I think this (along with a scheduled 20 mile run) will do just fine. :) We'll keep you posted as this new adventure unfolds.

P.S. I have another 6 pounds or so of fresh, ripe tomatoes on my counter from our CSA share again this week. Now that we have all the salsa we could possibly want, what should I make using them? Any suggestions? (I'm not planning on canning any more, but I might freeze extras of whatever I make). They are heirloom tomatoes of all shapes and sizes...

5 comments:

Mom said...

You can just can them as tomatoes--then use them however you want as the year goes by--soups, spaghetti sauce. Or I've made spaghetti sauce (tomatoes, onions, spices) and frozen it...but I don't like that as well. It tends to separate and get really watery as it thaws, so I had to cook the sauce down or else it was too thin and pooled in a unappetizing way on the plate. (Tasted OK though).

Anonymous said...

I cooked tomatoes with celery, onion, and carrot and froze it. It does get a little watery, but it works great to add to soup!

arturlington said...

Diced tomotoes frozen are great to add to fresh spaghetti sauce, roasts, chili, and the many other winter meals that Wyoming makes you crave (and cook for your family)!

C. M. said...

Apparently slow-roasting tomato halves is super yummy and you can freeze them for up to 6 months.
You can use them for Roasted Tomato Soup later on. Here's a good recipe from food network:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/roasted-tomato-soup-with-croutons-recipe/index.html

Ben said...

I made pizza sauce/tomato sauce with some of our tomatoes. worked great and tastes awesome! It either cans or freezes well. I'm jealous of all your apples! we are going to go apple picking here sometime soon. I would like to get enough to make some cider, but we'll see how much they are :)